Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Porcupine Hill Climb

I actually did it. I did my first bike race this past weekend. It was the Porcupine Hill Climb; it started at Porcupine Pub & Grill at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon and finished at the base of Brighton Ski Resort. Matt and his cousin Ben also raced, needless to say they were faster than I was.

I really enjoyed it and I plan on doing it again next year, hopefully with a better time. Halfway up the course a moose ran out of the woods and directly in front of the group of riders that I was with. We literally missed hitting the moose by 2 seconds, nothing like almost getting mowed over by a giant moose to get your HR going. For the last 1K my legs were absolutely screaming, it was a long and at times really steep climb.

Matt ended up taking 10th in the Cat 4's and his cousin Ben took 14th. For some reason they had me listed as DNF (did not finish). After a ride like that you definitely want to see yourself as finishing but according to my time I would have taken 6th in the women 30+ competitive citizen category. I was just racing for fun and the experience not for points like Matt.

Anyone want to join me next year.....?

Here I am trying to look like I know what I am doing while not falling over.

7 comments:

Michele said...

Congrats- you are amazing. Watch out for the moose!

Heats said...

You are a hot biker! You go girl!!!!

iamwonderwoman said...

2 words for you--- YOU ROCK!!!

becca said...

I would love to join you next year...if I could only get a hold of a bike...hmmmm, do you know where I can get one?

Cason and Marie said...

woot woot!!! You go girl!! 6th??? wow!!! you are amazing woman! You make that bike look good!!

Jenni said...

You are one HOT MAMA Bohan! I'm so proud of you!!! You're totally rockin the spandex too!!!!

Twiggy said...

I'd love to join you next year Shannon! But only if they sell tandem road bikes, I'll sit in the back and enjoy the ride. Congratulations on your first race, I'm proud of the SEXY BLOND MOMMA BIKER!!